Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Victoria and Albert Museum, London.









What collections at the V&A!

Not one single gallery or museum did I see in its entirety while abroad.

[Actually, that's not entirely true. I believe I scoured the Guggenheim all the way up and around, and did the shop. But, this was my very first museum visit.]

In both the Brooklyn Museum and the British Museum I only got as far as the Islamic collections, in which I spent an hour and a half anyway.

My mind couldn't stretch any further. Plus, it was closing time.

While at the V&A I couldn't resist buying tickets to the temporary exhibitions after spending an hour with Rodin in the sculpture room. The permanent collections I assumed would be there on my return... For that day it would be a spectacular quilt exhibition; a collection of Horace Walpole's collections from Strawberry Hill; and a small room of some of Grace Kelly's clothing.

Too excited was I to be spending a few minutes in the presence of those beautiful chiffon dresses from 'Rear Window' (my favourite film) and 'High Society'.

Plus, both Grace Kelly and Auguste Rodin were born on November 12th - my birthday also.

In the meantime I got snap-happy. And, the exit of every exhibition led you straight into the V&A book shop. Did I manage to resist? No! I bought I a book on masters of photography and another on William de Morgan's tile designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment