Sunday, June 20, 2010

York


















I perhaps should have premised beforehand that, unless stated otherwise, all these travel shots were taken on my meagre, but handy, mobile phone camera. Hardly Leica quality, but some travel shots nonetheless.

My Uncle Mick and Aunty Linda drove me up to the county of York to meet my Uncle Tom, who lives in the delightfully named village of Thorpe Willioughby. Our afternoon was spent, however, wandering around the city - or town if you prefer - of York. A place steeped in history, some of which is wonderfully respected and preserved. As you might spot, it's very touristy, but it's aesthetic/historic appeal makes up for it.
I wanted to go back to visit a book shop hidden within the Shambles.
Hidden is a strong word. Let's just say that I can't remember the name of the shop, so until I do it's kind of hidden unless one of the first shops on your left as you come away from the Minster is enough direction for you.

I was drawn inside by some deliciously smelly old leather bound books out the front, and a window displaying some Arthur Rackham prints.

I went to buy one Rackham print for my mum, one for Adele, and one for myself. Then my card declined. So I bought none.
I don't believe Rackham has anything particular to do with York, but his illustrations are pure pleasure to my eyes and imagination.
He's my next post.
A brief digression.




These shots are predominantly of the York Minster Cathedral, and the Shambles (which are a group of Tudor laneway shops, the structures of which are largely in their original conditon).












I hope you're into architecture.


















No comments:

Post a Comment